On my Afrikaans link HERE I was asked to translate the buttermilk recipe. Well, here it goes! This recipe is from a friend of mine and it really tastes almost like the real buttermilk rusks you buy in the shops! [even better, if you ask me!] Try and enjoy!
3x500g self raising flour
1/2 t salt
3/4 of 500g margarine
500 ml buttermilk
2 cups of sugar
1t food colour – yellow
250 ml coconut [dried coconut]
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C.
2. Rub butter in flour and salt.
3. Wisk the buttermilk, sugar and eggs.
4. Add the coconut, vanilla and food colour.
5. Mix all till well blended.
6. If dough is too stiff, add a little bit of milk.
7. Coat bread pans with oil. Put dough in pans till about 1/4 of the base is covered, press the dough till it reaches all corners.
8. Bake for 20 min.
9. Cut in thick slices/fingers and dry the slices in the oven. If you dry it in the oven, your oven shouldn’t be too hot…a cool oven – about 100 deg C, spread the rusks on a baking tray and remember to turn the “slices” so it dries all sides. Usually you would dry them overnight with the oven door wedged open a crack to dry out completely. Keep the rusks in an airtight tin.