for the Fide
-website….where you can read more about….
“Chess is most likely to be introduced into Russian schools curriculum
The Duma Speaker Boris Gryzlov thinks that chess is most likely to be introduced into Russian schools curriculum. `In Kalmykia, schools have chess in their programmes for more than 10 years and the results in other school subjects have improved. Kalmyk pupils win not only Russian championships but also world ones in other sports,` Mr. Gryzlov said at the opening ceremony of the Russian Sport Forum. In Mr. Gryzlov`s opinion chess develops not only pupils` logical thinking but their striving for victory which is very important for the Russian people.”
Today, I said the following to Basil…(he’s on the course with me)..that chess should be a game in all schools, because of the following…
1. In Chess, you have to think at least about 3-4 moves ahead….in real life….you have to think ahead! plan for the future…etc.
2. In Chess, you have to be focused on your moves, you can’t let your mind drifting….then you lose! (if you snooze…you lose!)….in real life, if you are not focused…you lose!
3. In Chess, you have to prioritise…you may have about 3-4 very good moves to make….so, you have to decide which one is the best move for that particular moment…cause and effect…..in real life, you have to prioritise your life too! You have to decide what is important for that particular moment…cause and effect…again…
4. In Chess, you have patterns, particular moves occur and you know what to do if it occurs….in real life, something happens and you had experienced it before, so you know how to handle it, you act like you used to do in that particular situation……and….maths is about patterns! so, solve a pattern in chess, considered it solved in maths! ….patterns are easily identified in other situations in real life….or in other subjects! ….or solve a problem in chess…you can solve it in maths! ….so what do I actually try to tell you….? Chess is a fantastic sport to achieve higher levels in Maths…if you are a student! …..but don’t think just a couple of games will do the “job”…you have to commit yourself!
5. In Chess, you move different directions, that helps in real life (for children) to sort out directions…i.e. left/right….so if they have difficulties with reversing letters, it may help them to solve the problem! Children with spatial problems? Let them play chess! …visual orientation-problems…? Chess is the answer…just think about that tricky move of the knight!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~So….people still thinking “Chess….agh! what a boring game…” think twice! and if you want to challenge me and want me to tell you more….about what FUN chess is…post me a message and I will keep you busy for about an hour or more!! I had Basil’s jaws dropped today…so I might get yours dropped too! LOL!
Have you seen THIS movie?
Knights of the South Bronx